About 13.6 million people in the UK are at risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Stakes are higher if diabetes runs in your family. Certain complications, such as sight loss, can be prevented if the disease is diagnosed early. A reliable blood sugar test pharmacy in Wallington can help you determine whether your glucose levels are safe or alarming.
There are several types of diabetes which can also be determined through a blood test. Some varieties can be prevented through lifestyle changes, including adopting a healthy and balanced diet.
Here is a round up some of the best foods to help lower or control your blood sugar levels while keeping you satiated.
- Broccoli. It contains a type of isothiocyanate known as sulforaphane which reduces glucose in the bloodstream. Broccoli sprouts have concentrated amounts of glucoraphanin that aids in insulin sensitivity.
- Sweet Potato. It is packed with nutrients and has a low GI score.
- Nuts and seeds. Peanuts and almonds can reduce fasting and post-meal sugar levels. Adding flax, chia, and pumpkin seeds to your diet can help control glucose levels in your bloodstream.
- Okra. It contains polysaccharides and flavonoid antioxidants, which both exhibit blood-sugar-lowering properties.
- Fruits. Berries contain compounds beneficial for blood glucose management. Avocados are an abundant source of healthy fats, fibre, minerals and vitamins, while citrus fruits provide polyphenols, all helpful in glucose management.
- Legumes. Beans, peas and lentils contain magnesium, protein and fibre that help blood sugar response and have low GI scores.
- Whole wheat. Consuming whole grains in bread forms such as pumpernickel, spelt, rye and stone-ground wheat bread which are less processed compared to regular white bread and therefore has low GI scores.
- Oatmeal. Oats and oat bran are stuffed in soluble fibre and help you maintain glucose control. It is best consumed in stone-ground or rolled oats form.
- Probiotics. Fermented kimchi and sauerkraut are rich sources of probiotics, minerals and antioxidants that improve insulin sensitivity and glucose levels.
- Garlic. It is widely known for its medicinal properties that help manage blood sugar levels, lipid levels and even cholesterol.
Take control of your wellbeing by adopting positive lifestyle choices and regular health monitoring. Anna Pharmacy is a trusted blood sugar test pharmacy in Wallington committed to aiding individuals like you in your health journey. Book an appointment with us today.