Home Health Centre Common Health Questions

Common Health Questions

NHS website - Where can I use my EHIC?

Where can I use my EHIC?

You can use your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) when you visit a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland if, for example, you are going on a holiday or business trip.

For a country-by-country guide, see travelling in the EEA and Switzerland.

When you can't use your EHIC

You can't use your EHIC if you're moving abroad to live, work or study or going abroad for planned treatment (including giving birth). You also can't use your EHIC for private medical treatment.

Travelling outside the EEA

The UK has agreements with some countries outside the EEA to provide healthcare for visitors. You do not need an EHIC to get urgent medical treatment in these countries, but you will usually need to provide documents that prove you live in the UK (such as a passport or driving licence).

For a country-by-country guide, see travelling outside the EEA.

Further information:

This site uses cookies. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Cookie Policy, Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.