Home Health Centre Common Health Questions

Common Health Questions

NHS website - Can I speak to a GP about someone else's health?

Can I speak to a GP about someone else's health?

It depends whether you have the person's consent (permission).

If you have consent

Your friend or relative can give their GP permission, either verbally or in writing, to discuss their health with you.

If you have consent, you can speak to your friend or relative's GP about their health.

If you don't have consent

You can raise concerns about your friend or relative's health with their GP without their consent, but because of patient confidentiality, the GP won't be able to discuss any details.

A GP can only intervene if a friend or relative needs treatment under the Mental Health Act (1983).

This act allows some people with mental health problems to be compulsorily detained in a psychiatric hospital.

The Care Quality Commission website has more information about mental health and the Mental Health Act (1983).

But if you agree, the GP may be willing to tell your friend or relative that you're concerned about them and may suggest including you in some of the discussions.

You can speak to your own GP about someone else's health, but they won't be able to discuss a specific case.

Although your GP could help you understand how to provide support, it may be quicker and easier to get information elsewhere.

Getting information and advice

If you're concerned about a friend or relative's health, there are many ways for you to get information and advice. For example, you can:

You could talk to your friend or relative directly if you wish to discuss their condition or treatment. Tell them about your concerns about their health, and offer help and support.

Sometimes it can be difficult for someone to see or admit they have a health problem – for example, if they have a drink or drug problem.

For more information about some specific problems, see:

Medical records

Under the Data Protection Act (1998) a person's medical records can be accessed by:

  • the person themselves
  • a parent or guardian of children under 16 – although in some cases the child may be entitled to decide if this information is passed on
  • a friend or relative, if they have the person's written permission
  • a friend or relative, if they have power of attorney

For more information about medical records and power of attorney, see Can I access someone else's medical records (health records)?

Consent to treatment

In English law, nobody can give consent to treatment on behalf of another adult. Only the person receiving the treatment can give their permission for it to go ahead.

If a person's condition means they're unable to make a decision about their treatment – for example, if they have dementia– the healthcare professionals treating them must act in the person's best interests.

But you can apply to become someone's deputy if they "lack mental capacity".

This means they can't make a decision for themselves at the time it needs to be made. They may still be able to make decisions for themselves at certain times.

The GOV.UK website has more information about making decisions for someone who lacks capacity.

Read the answers to more questions about NHS services and treatments.

Further information:

This site uses cookies. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Cookie Policy, Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.