Home Health Centre Common Health Questions

Common Health Questions

NHS website - How can I see a GP if I'm away from home?

How can I see a GP if I'm away from home?

If you're away from home and need to see a GP, you can contact any GP surgery nearby.

Find a GP surgery near you.

You can receive emergency treatment from a GP surgery for up to 14 days – for example, if you fall ill while on holiday. If your treatment will last longer than that, you'll have to register as a temporary or permanent resident.

You can register as a temporary resident if you're in the area for longer than 24 hours but less than three months. For more information, see How do I register as a temporary resident with a GP?

If you'll be in the area for longer than three months, you will have to re-register as a temporary patient or permanently register with that practice. Read more about registering with a GP.

Alternative services

If you need medical advice or treatment but you don't need to see a GP, there are some alternatives you can try instead.

For example:

  • call NHS 111 for non-emergency medical advice and information about local services
  • pharmacistprovides advice and treatment for minor conditions that don't need a prescription
  • minor injuries unit (MIU) provides treatment for less serious injuries, such as sprains, broken bones and wound infections
  • walk-in centre deals with minor illnesses and injuries, such as infections and rashes
  • sexual health or GUM clinic provides testing for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and contraception advice

These services don't require you to make an appointment or register as a patient.

Further information:

This site uses cookies. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Cookie Policy, Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.