Home Health Centre Common Health Questions

Common Health Questions

NHS website - How can I find a registered dietitian or nutritionist?

How can I find a registered dietitian or nutritionist?

Whether you consult a registered dietitian or a registered nutritionist will depend on the kind of advice you want.

A dietitian is a qualified health professional, who as well as providing general health advice, can also work with people with special dietary needs due to health conditions such as coeliac disease.

A nutritionist should be able to provide information about food and healthy eating, but not about special diets for medical conditions.


You can find a registered dietitian:

The title "dietitian" is protected by law. This means you are not allowed to call yourself a dietitian unless you are properly qualified and registered with the HCPC.

Registered dietitians are regulated by the professional association for dietitians, the British Dietetic Association.


The title of nutritionists is not protected by law, meaning that anyone can advertise their services as a nutritionist. So it is important to find a nutritionist who is appropriately qualified and registered by a trustworthy professional body.

The Association for Nutrition is a well-respected professional body for nutritionists in the UK and has a list of nutritionists who have received an approved level of training.

Search for a registered nutritionist near you on the Association for Nutrition's website.

Further reading

The BDA has a guide with more information on dietitians and nutritionists called Dietitian? Nutritionist? Nutritional Therapist? Diet Expert? – A comprehensive guide from the British Dietetic Association (PDF, 659kb).

Read the answers to more questions about healthy eating.

Further information:


This site uses cookies. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Cookie Policy, Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.