Home Health Centre Common Health Questions

Common Health Questions

NHS website - How can I get an NHS hearing aid?

How can I get an NHS hearing aid?

If you’re concerned about your hearing, see your GP, who can refer you to a specialist, such as:

  • an ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist 
  • a hearing specialist (audiologist), particularly if you’re over 60
  • a clinic run by audiology staff at your GP surgery, local hospital or health centre

The specialist will assess your hearing to find the cause of your hearing loss. Some people may not need a hearing aid – for example, if an ear infection affects your hearing temporarily.

NHS hearing aids

If the specialist advises that you need a hearing aid, the audiology service will recommend the most suitable type available. All NHS supplied hearing aids are digital. NHS hearing aids include:

  • behind-the-ear (BTE) hearing aids; these have an open tube or earmould that sits inside your ear and the rest sits behind your ear  
  • bone-anchored hearing aids (BAHA); these are a type of bone conduction hearing aid, which require a permanent surgical implant in the bone behind your ear
  • CROS (contralateral routing of signals) and BiCROS hearing aids; these are for people with hearing in only one ear and work by transmitting sound from the side with no hearing to your hearing ear

Read about hearing impairment for more information on hearing aids and Cochlear Implants.

Other hearing aids may be available

Getting an NHS hearing aid

Your specialist will make an impression of your ear for the earmould. You’ll need to return a few weeks after this to have your hearing aid fitted. Some types of hearing aid, called an 'open ear fitting', don’t require an earmould. These may be fitted the same day as you have your hearing tests.

Your hearing aid will be adjusted to suit your level of hearing loss, and you’ll be shown how to use and care for it. You may be invited for a follow up appointment or phone call.

NHS hearing aids and new batteries are free. If you lose your hearing aid or damage it, you may be asked to pay towards the cost of repairing or replacing it. 

Getting a hearing aid privately

In the UK, all hearing aid dispensers must be registered with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC).

If you decide to buy a hearing aid privately, make sure you consult a qualified registered hearing aid dispenser. They should have the letters RHAD (Registered Hearing Aid Dispenser) after their name. 

Read the answers to more questions about NHS services and treatments.

Further information:


This site uses cookies. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Cookie Policy, Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.