About 3.5 million people in the UK are diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease.
In its early stages, symptoms are not apparent but can be diagnosed through blood and urine testing. For example, a kidney function blood test examines levels of certain substances in your blood to check whether your kidneys function the way they should.
Diabetes and high blood pressure are the top causes of CKD. Other causes include kidney infections and long-term use of certain medications such as NSAIDs.
Managing diabetes and high blood pressure can help prevent CKD; mindful choices can keep your kidneys healthy.
- Choose healthy food. Incorporate fresh fruits into your meal, like lemons, oranges, berries and apples. Vegetables provide essential vitamins. Be sure to include carrots, spinach, celery and kale in your salads or smoothies to get your beta-carotene, iron, folate, and Vitamins D, C and K.
Choose whole grain foods like whole wheat bread and brown rice. Pick food with little to no sugar added and low-fat to fat-free dairy products. Adopt a low-sodium diet. Staying well-hydrated helps your kidneys filter better. However, if you have underlying chronic conditions like lung or heart disease, consult your physician for your recommended fluid intake.
- Stay physically active. Thirty minutes of exercise daily will work wonders for your overall health, including your kidneys. Consult with your physician on the best activity fit for you.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Controlling your calorie intake and exercising regularly can help you lose or regulate your weight.
- Get ample sleep. Sleep is a time for restoration that allows your body to recharge. Aim for a good 7 to 8 of uninterrupted sleep every night.
- Restrict smoking and alcohol intake. Smoking and drinking alcohol add burden to your vital organs, including the kidneys, which can contribute to a rise in blood pressure levels.
- Manage stress. Explore stress-reducing practices like yoga, meditation, tai chi and other physical activities.
Work with your healthcare provider to adopt the suitable options for you while keeping an eye on your kidney health by booking an appointment with Anna pharmacy for your kidney function blood test requirements.