For mums-to-be, Coronavirus has been a very frightening illness mainly due to the unknowns with such a new virus and how it can affect pregnant women. If you are looking for professional healthcare advice, then contact Anna Pharmacy. We also offer PCR testing in Sutton.
8 facts you need to know about Covid-19 and pregnancy
- The Covid vaccination does not impact on fertility – if you are trying to get pregnant then the Covid vaccinationwill not interfere with or reduce the likelihood of conception
- The Covid vaccination is recommended for pregnant women – current government advice is to have the Covid vaccination, to reduce the risk of any complications caused by the virus during pregnancy
- You are not more likely to catch Covid-19 if you are pregnant – there is also no data to suggest that if you do catch Covid-19 when pregnant, you have an increased likelihood of becoming more seriously ill or developing complications
- Pregnant women are deemed ‘clinically vulnerable’ as a precaution – in pregnancy, a small proportion of women can experience alterations in how their bodies handle viral infections. The designation of ‘clinically vulnerable’ is just a precaution to add an extra layer of protection
- Coronavirus won’t harm your unborn baby – although this is a new virus, there is no evidence to suggest that Covid in pregnancycauses developmental problems or a higher risk of miscarriage
- The antenatal regimen of checks remains the same – no additional checks are required due to the risk of contracting Covid-19 although always discuss this with your midwife
- Antenatal classes continue as normal – during the pandemic, many antenatal classes moved online, and expectant mums can still take this option if they wish to remain in isolation
- Pain relief during delivery remains unchanged – all the usual options for pain relief are still available
Always tell your midwife if you suspect you have developed Covid-19 and flag any specific concerns you may have.
If you are worried about Covid-19 and are pregnant or trying to conceive, then contact Anna Pharmacy for confidential and professional healthcare advice. We also offer Covid-19 testing for expectant mums and PCR testing for anyone who suspects they may have contracted Covid-19.