The liver is essential for keeping you healthy by filtering toxic substances that enter your body, it acts as your body’s built-in filtration system.
A simple blood test for liver function can determine the health of your liver and determine if there are any medical issues that need to be treated. Changes in certain levels of enzymes or proteins can alert your GP of potential problems such as hepatitis, liver cancer, or fatty liver disease.
Liver function tests can help you monitor the progression of liver disease and help determine if any of the medications you are taking are damaging your liver.
Anna Pharmacy offers a comprehensive list of liver function tests in Carshalton, Sutton, Hackbridge, and Wallington that your GP may be requesting to check your liver function.
If you’re wondering how to keep your liver healthy, keep reading to learn the top ten ways to a healthy liver.
10 Ways to A Healthy Liver
- Drink alcohol in moderation to avoid inflammation and scarring of the liver (cirrhosis)
- Lead an active lifestyle with regular exercise to avoid obesity. Aim for at least 150 minutes of exercise per week.
- Maintain a healthy and balanced diet. Avoid fatty foods and eat plenty of foods rich in nutrients and fibre such as vegetables, lean meat, and fresh (not processed) meals.
- Maintain a healthy body weight. Obesity can dramatically increase your risk of fatty liver disease.
- Get vaccinated against hepatitis A and B.
- Be careful with over-the-counter medications which may have unnecessary toxins and ingredients that may damage the liver.
- Avoid fad diets and weight loss pills that put excess stress on the liver due to dramatic weight changes.
- Protect yourself against Hepatitis B or C. Get immunised if you are at a risk.
- If you have diabetes, hypertension, and/or high cholesterol – monitor your liver function regularly.
- Quit smoking.
If signs and symptoms of liver disease do occur, they may include:
Skin and eyes that appear yellowish (jaundice)
Abdominal pain and swelling.
Swelling in the legs and ankles.
Dark urine colour.
Pale stool colour.
Nausea or vomiting.
Liver Function Tests Available at Anna Pharmacy Group
· ALT Blood Test
· AST Blood Test
· ALP Blood Test
· GGT Blood Test
If you need to get a liver disease blood test, drop in at any of our Anna Pharmacy branches in South London including Carshalton, Sutton, Hackbridge, and Wallington.