Are living with type 1 or type 2 diabetes? If so, it’s likely that your symptoms are being managed by medication prescribed by your GP. However, physical activity and nutrition can play a significant role in staying healthy and managing diabetes by keeping blood sugar levels within the target range.
Regular blood tests for diabetes in addition to medication, diet, and exercise can help diabetics monitor sugar levels. Visit Anna Pharmacy to get your routine blood test for diabetes in Carshalton, Sutton, Hackbridge, or any of our other convenient South London branches.
We’ve put together some useful information and tips for managing diabetes symptoms with exercise and diet.
Nutrition and Diet Tips for Diabetics
Limit foods that affect blood sugar levels:
· Starchy vegetables: potatoes, carrots, green peas, corn, and carrots.
· Fried foods
· Foods that are high in salt (sodium)
· Food and drinks that sugar
· Processed foods: cookies, sandwich meat, breakfast cereals, potato chips, and breakfast cereals.
Add healthy superfoods to your diet, including:
· Heart-healthy fats: such as nuts, seeds, olive oil, fish, and avocado.
· Whole foods: fresh vegetables and fruit, whole grains, and legumes.
· Non-starchy vegetables: spinach, cucumbers, broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, and peppers.
· Protein-rich foods: poultry, fish, beans, and lentils.
· Eat nutritious and balanced meals throughout the day (and at the same time every day) to maintain stable sugar levels.
Exercise Tips for Diabetics
Exercise lowers your blood pressure and sugar levels which will help you burn extra calories to keep you at a healthy weight. If you aren’t used to physical exercise, you can start slowly and increase your activity time and intensity as you get more comfortable with your workout.
TIP! Take a blood sugar test at a pharmacy nearest you before starting any new exercise routine. The diabetes test pharmacy in Sutton is just one of the Anna Pharmacy branches that can administer a variety of blood tests to measure sugar levels. For the most accurate measurement of sugar levels for diabetics, you need to take a fasting blood test for diabetes in Carshalton or at any Anna Pharmacy location.
The recommended time of daily activity is 30 minutes per day. Here are some healthy activities:
· Strength training
Managing your sugar levels through blood tests for diabetes in Sutton, Hackbridge, or Carshalton doesn’t have to be difficult. Although medication may still be important for managing your condition, diet, exercise, and regular blood tests for diabetes at Hackbridge can help prevent diabetic symptoms from getting worse.