Our kidneys filter waste and remove extra fluids from our blood through urine. Kidneys also help keep chemicals such as, Sodium, Potassium, and Calcium balanced in our body. Also, they make hormones that help control our blood pressure and stimulate the bone marrow to produce red blood cells.
Kidneys also control the acid in our body, maintain electrolytes, produce erythropoietin, and activate the vitamin D in our body.
What is Erythropoietin?
It is a hormone made by our kidneys that stimulates the body to make red blood cells. Therefore, an erythropoietin test is important in determining the cause of polycythemia (high red blood cells) and anemia (low red blood cells).
How to keep them healthy?
- Eat healthy foods like fruits and vegetables.
- Hydrate yourself but do not overdo it
- Exercise regularly but do not lift weights more than what you can
- Use Epsom salt. It is healthier than any other salts
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Avoid pain relievers if you can
How to prevent kidney diseases?
- Drink 10-12 glasses of water (depending on your weight and lifestyle)
- Control diabetes if you have (blood sugar)
- Control hypertension if you have (blood pressure)
- Take kidney panel tests every year (Urine, Blood sugar, Creatinine)
- Always check your blood pressure, even if you’re young
What are the things to avoid?
- Avoid high protein from saturated fats. However, researchers are still studying the relationship between high-protein diets and kidney disease. But do not avoid protein and fats because our body needs those two compounds. Just do not over-consume.
- Avoid tobacco. You may think that cigarettes only affect the lungs the most, but they can also cause heart diseases. Heart disease can cause your kidneys to work harder, eventually leading to kidney failure.
What will happen if your kidneys fail to function well?
If a person’s kidneys don’t work well anymore, this will lead to dialysis or kidney transplantation.
Where to have a kidney function test?
There are different hospitals and clinics in London, this includes but not limited to the following:
- Hack bridge
Taking care of your physical health should be one of your top priorities. As they say, “health is wealth.” You cannot do what you usually do when you already have a disease that can prevent you from being normal again. Sometimes it is hard to be healthy but being unhealthy and sick is more complicated.