The World Health Organisation (WHO) estimate that 1.3 billion worldwide have hypertension or high blood pressure. High or abnormal blood pressure is a major cause of premature death worldwide. In 2015, 1 in 4 men and 1 in 5 women had hypertension or high blood pressure and fewer than 1 in 5 people had the problem under control. Anna Pharmacy are trusted medical professionals with experience and expertise to help manage high blood pressure.
Diagnosing high blood pressure
High blood pressure should only be diagnosed by a healthcare professional using a blood pressure gauge and taking into account other relevant health history.
Five simple steps to keep high blood pressure under control
Uncontrolled high blood pressure can be fatal but there are lots of measures sufferers can take to help keep it under control alongside or independently of medication.
- Know your numbers – discuss your relevant level with a healthcare professional. Ideal blood pressure varies according to age and gender so always work on specific data with a doctor or nurse who knows your history
- Make a plan – your doctor will suggest a range of steps to lower your blood pressure. Make a plan and stick to it in terms of following advice, attending check ups and monitoring sessions and implementing lifestyle changes
- Lifestyle changes – your GP is almost bound to recommend some changes to lower high blood pressure. These could include losing weight, eating less and healthier food plus reducing salt in your diet, taking more exercise and reducing the intake of alcohol
- Check your blood pressure at home – there are plenty of devices available from your local pharmacy to help with this
- Take any prescribed medication – follow the prescription your doctor gives you
Not everyone will need to be prescribed blood pressure medication and some people are prescribed tablets alongside lifestyle changes. Sometimes, tablets can be reduced or even removed altogether if lifestyle changes have made enough of an impact to high blood pressure. Ceasing medication for hypertension should only be done on medical advice.
Let Anna Pharmacy help you with blood pressure management. We offer rapid repeat prescriptions with easy online ordering for prescribed high blood pressure medication, health guides and advice from qualified pharmacists to help with weight loss and quitting smoking.