Cholesterol is often seen as the enemy. We are continuously told to keep cholesterol levels down. However, the reality is that a healthy level of cholesterol is important for maintaining health, So cholesterol test is very important for your good health.
Cholesterol helps build new cells, protects nerves, and produces hormones. The trouble comes when we eat too much cholesterol. When we consume too much, it can deposit in unhealthy places, including arteries.
Over time cholesterol accumulates in your arteries and can restrict the flow of blood and oxygen to and from your heart. Reduced blood flow can result in chest pain, and if blood flow gets totally cut off, a heart attack might result.
Monitoring your cholesterol is the best thing you can do for yourself to be on top of your physical wellbeing. Adopt a healthier lifestyle to help you maintain cholesterol levels and prevent heart disease in the future.
Monitoring Your Heart Disease Risk
A regular blood test that measures cholesterol level in the body can help your doctor monitor your risk of heart disease. Cholesterol tests measure two different types of cholesterol:
- High-density lipoprotein (HDL): This “good” cholesterol can help carry LDL out of the arteries and may even lower your risk of heart disease.
- Low-density lipoprotein (LDL): Known as the “bad” cholesterol, this type of cholesterol can build up in your arteries and increase your risk of a heart attack.
Understanding Your Cholesterol Numbers
Your doctor will discuss the results of your blood test, but LDL cholesterol numbers and levels are categorized as follows:
- Less than 100 mg/dL – Optimal
- 100-129 mg/dL – Near optimal/above optimal
- 130-159 mg/dL – Borderline high
- 160-189 mg/dL – High
- 190 mg/dL – Very high
Together, you and your doctor can work together to create a plan that helps lower your bad cholesterol and raises good cholesterol levels to improve heart health. That may include:
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Medication to help lower cholesterol
- Plant-based diet that emphasizes fruits, vegetables, and lean protein sources and reduces saturated and trans fat
- Regular physical activity
A Whole Health Approach to Strengthening Your Heart
Regular check-ups with your primary care provider play an important role in monitoring, managing, and controlling your whole health. By routinely tracking your cholesterol and other health indicators over time, you can intervene quickly and help get back to optimal health.
Book an appointment today with Anna pharmacy for Cholesterol Blood Test in Carshalton and to speak to one of our whole health experts at about protecting your heart health. If you’re in need of lab services for Cholesterol Tests in Sutton, look no further than Anna.